Sunday, January 30, 2011

Great Skate

Yesterday we had to get out of the house so Becky and I took the kids to Great Skate. It was a disaster until Becky thought to ask for slower moving skates. The boy behind the counter was very nice and checked some of the skates for slower ones. When we went back out they were able to skate around without us holding on to them or their walker/skater things! We found out Greak Skate has lessons on Saturday mornings that you can just show up to and then you can stay and skate during the first session. We might try that some time because I have no idea how to teach him to skate.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi jen and Ollie. Just to let you know, all you can do with "rink" skates is go round and around. If you want to skate well, you will need to buy your own skates. You don't need to buy expensive ones, except the expensive ones feel better on the feet. They will beed to be adjusted: bearings adjusted, the front truck needs to be loosened (this is adjusted to the user). There are other things as you get to be better (like stoppers). The stoppers are not for stopping, they are more for dancing. to stop. coast on one skate and place the other skate behind that skate to for the letter "T", and kind of drag it. the harder you drag it the quicker you stop. At Ollies age, I would reccomend lessons, although I use to skate a LOT and never had lesson one, but then I used to go 2 & 3 times aweek before I got married. I miss skating, and (please don't laugh too hard) at 60 I am thinking about getting on skates again. I just really miss it. Not sure I would miss all the kids skating though, at least until I feel more comfortable again, then bring em on. I love skating and hope ollie does too. My kids got into roller blading.

The guy that owns or manages the skate rink can help you with the adjustment, and teach you how. the KIDS behind the counter may not have a clue unless they are GOOD skaters themselves.